Valley Milk, LLC seeks driven, highly skilled individuals to join our world-class drying facility in Turlock, CA.
Position Description: Safety & Compliance Specialist
Mission Statement and Strategy Summary
Valley Milk, LLC is a state-of-the-art powdered milk ingredient processing facility on a 30 acre site in Turlock, CA. The plant is designed for and has capacity to process 2.5 MM pounds of raw milk per day. The company is owned by a highly successful group of dairymen and women and related dairy professionals. Founded in 2014, construction commenced in June 2016. Commercial operations began February 2018.
Valley Milk, LLC’s mission is to be a world class dairy ingredient processor and marketer of premium milk powders with emphasis on quality, food safety, and profitability. Valley Milk, LLC sources 100% of its raw milk requirements from designated dairies owned and operated by the founding families within a 40-mile radius of our plant.
Our marketing strategy is to secure a diverse customer base, including both domestic and international sales to the food and nutrition industry. Export Sales include both existing and emerging markets. We have the flexibility to sell cream and raw milk depending on a defined product mix, driven by customer contracts and market conditions.
The Safety & Compliance Specialist will report to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO).
COMPANY VISION AND STRATEGY SUMMARY
Valley Milk, LLC is a state-of-the-art 24/7/365 powdered milk ingredient processing facility on a 30-acre site in Turlock, CA. The plant is designed for and has capacity to process 2.5 MM pounds of raw milk per day. The company is owned by a highly successful group of dairy farmers and related dairy professionals.
Our mission is to be a world class dairy ingredient processor and marketer of premium milk powders with emphasis on quality, food safety, and profitability. Valley Milk sources 100% of its raw milk requirements from designated dairies owned and operated by the founding families, from over 34,000 cows within a 45-mile radius of our plant location.
The Safety & Compliance Specialist provides technical safety and health support to production and corporate employees. Develops corporate safety and health programs and objectives and coordinates safety training programs. Monitors safety and health regulations and provides technical support to plant and corporate employees to ensure compliance with federal and state safety and health regulations.
• Works closely with all employees throughout the facility. Handle accident reports; ensure records are properly completed & filed. Evaluate, identify, implement and communicate strategies for preventing future accidents.
• Develop and prepare written company health and safety programs, plans and policies and manage programs that ensure safe working conditions.
• Identifies company safety training needs and develops and coordinates safety training programs. Conduct trainings informing employees of company health and safety plans and promoting safe practices.
• Partner with Worker’s Compensation insurance provider to coordinate and oversee Job Safety Analysis process for all positions. Ensure all job descriptions reflect appropriate physical requirements.
• Provides technical safety and health support and information to production and office staff.
• In partnership with chemical vendor, coordinate and manage Safety Data Sheets program for safe handling of onsite chemicals including employee training, accessibility and communication.
• Develops annual company safety and health goals.
• Partner with local city, county and state environmental officials as appropriate; establish and maintain productive and collaborative relationships with City of Turlock personnel for wastewater treatment and boiler compliance and with various emergency response departments (Police/Fire) for training and drills, including but not limited to LOTO, Confined Space, and First Responder.
• Participates in new product/process reviews, including job and process hazard analyses, operator training, etc.
• Supports plant engineering to implement engineering controls to minimize safety and occupational health hazards.
• Supports plant personnel in selection of appropriate personal protective equipment.
• Maintains corporate safety library (e.g., videos, regulations, reference manuals).
• Promotes safety and health awareness through internal company memoranda, newsletters and specific training programs.
• Lead company occupational safety and health committee.
• Assists as necessary in implementation of a hazard communication program and preparation of reports.
• Reviews process-operating procedures/records and provides input for safety and health considerations.
• Understands federal and state occupational safety and health regulations and monitors regulatory changes as they occur.
• Provides technical support to corporate and plant personnel to ensure compliance with applicable occupational safety and health regulations.
• Advises manufacturing and corporate staff of regulatory changes with which staff must comply. Sufficient advance notice should be provided so that compliance on the effective date of new regulations is ensured.
• Audits practices and records to ensure compliance with company programs and federal/state occupational safety and health regulations.
• Monitors lost-time injuries/illnesses and worker’s compensation claims. Participate in post-accident investigations and follow-up as needed.
• Coordinate after-hours injury triage process including vendor selection and relationship management, employee training and awareness, and overall program effectiveness and utilization.
• Reviews plant safety committee meeting minutes and safety inspection reports and follow-up as needed.
• Reviews injury/illness and noninjury incident investigation reports and follow-up as needed.
• Participate in team meetings; suggest changes in work tasks and use of equipment to increase efficiencies and drive continuous improvement.
• Ensure safe operations through adherence to Environmental, Health, and Safety programs and procedures.
• Stay abreast of current safety and compliance related regulations. Coordinate internal communications to ensure all employees are aware of changes to safety regulations that may impact their job and/or environment.
• Strict adherence to housekeeping. Cleans work areas upon completing a project and plant GMPs and in alignment with SQF requirements.
• Foster teamwork and embrace accountability.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Collaboration Skills
• Communication Proficiency
• Customer/Client Focus
• Decision Making
• Learning Orientation
• Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
• Problem Solving/Analysis
• Teamwork Orientation
• Technical Capacity
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, multipurpose scanner/photocopiers and filing cabinets. While performing some duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
The Safety & Compliance Specialist is a full-time, exempt/salaried position and reports directly to the Chief Administrative Officer with a dotted line of accountability to the Plant Manager. The regular work schedule for the position is M – F, 8:00am to 5:00pm, with flexibility for variable hours (including occasional evening and weekend work) as needed to accommodate our continuous business operations.
Any job-related travel is primarily local during the business day and generally minimal, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected to attend trainings, conferences or meetings.
Required Skills and Qualifications
Required Education and Experience:
• Minimum high school education or GED required.
• Knowledge and use of sanitation chemicals in a food manufacturing environment required.
• Previous safety program coordination experience in a manufacturing environment required.
• Demonstrated ability to influence without defined authority.
Preferred Education and Experience:
• Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in a safety science, engineering or industrial hygiene discipline preferred.
• Previous safety program coordination experience in a food or dairy processing environment preferred.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
• Certified safety professional (CSP) preferred
Work Authorization/Security Clearance:
Candidates must demonstrate current US work status eligibility.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.